Motor Vehicle Accidents: What You Need to Know
Motor vehicle accidents are always stressful and frightening – regardless who was at fault. At the time of the crash, you and your loved ones that were in the car with you will be worried about getting any medical attention that is needed, filing a report with the police, and filing a claim with your insurance company. We understand that this is a hard time for you, and our team at JK Nelson Law wants to help you move through this process as quickly and easily as possible. We are ready and standing by to help defend your rights and best interests in court and to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation from your accident.
Why do you need a lawyer?
People often wonder if they need a lawyer after they are injured in a motor vehicle accident. Dealing with the insurance companies on your own is like putting a dollar in a slot machine. You may win, but the insurance companies (as with slot machines) are not in business to pay you what you are entitled. Being injured in a motor vehicle accident is not as simple as calling up the insurance company and asking to be compensated fairly for your injuries. However, at JK Nelson Law, we know the process and will be tough with the insurance companies to get you the best possible results. At every step, we will update you on the status of your case, ensuring you know what to expect. We will make sure we get you what you deserve. So, the question is not why you need a lawyer, but why gamble on your future?
What Caused Your Accident?
Accidents happen, but you should not suffer as a result of someone else’s accident. If you have been injured because of someone else’s accident, a lawyer will help you to evaluate the accident and identify the at-fault driver to support your claim. Some common causes of motor vehicle accidents in Las Vegas are:
- Driving While Distracted
- This could mean that the other driver was texting, playing on their cell phone, looking into the backseat, eating, drinking, looking at their GPS, and many other things.
- Driving While Under the Influence
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs are a very common factor in accidents, and if there is evidence to prove that the driver was under the influence, it could significantly help your case. In Nevada, the illegal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit is 0.02% for drivers under 21, 0.04% for commercial drivers, and 0.08% for all other drivers. If the other driver’s blood alcohol concentration was above these numbers, they could receive severe penalties. However, if any amount of an illegal substance is detected in their blood, they could receive equal or greater penalties than they would have if alcohol were found.
- Driving Conditions
- Driving conditions can also be a cause of an accident. Poor road conditions, such as ice, snow, or heavy rain, could all be factors in an accident. For this reason, if you ever feel that the road conditions have become unsafe, it is better to simply pull over and wait.
- Product Liability
- If a part, or multiple parts, in your car malfunctions, that is considered a product liability. It is important that you seek legal representation immediately to ensure that your case can be heard.
What is the Statute of Limitations for suing after a motor vehicle accident?
You have exactly two years from the date of your accident to sue, file a police report, or file a claim. For this reason, you want to be sure that you seek legal representation immediately after your accident so that you can ensure your case will be valid. When filing your police report, insurance claim, and lawsuit claim, it is important for you to remember that while your insurance company is there to help, they won’t always have your best interest at heart. The amount offered by an insurance company might be just a small fraction of what you could receive with the help of one of our experienced and knowledgeable JK Nelson Law attorneys. At JK Nelson Law, we will take the time to inform you of all of the potential damages that could have been caused by your accident, such as lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Then, we will help you prove how these damages have impacted your life and present evidence that proves the other driver was at fault.
If you or a loved one was in a motor vehicle accident, please call our JK Nelson Law team so that we can schedule a free consultation with you to begin discussing your legal options. [/column]